- Welcome to the University of Mary Washington Philharmonic Orchestra’s 2013-14 concert season, our 43rd year of providing outstanding orchestral music to Central and Northern Virginia! The UMW Philharmonic Orchestra became nationally recognized in 2012 with the airing of their PBS Christmas show – “A Fiddler’s Holiday” with the Jay Ungar and Molly Mason Family Band. The UMW Philharmonic’s Celebrity Series, now in its 11th year, brings world-class musicians to Fredericksburg each year, including Marvin Hamlisch, Keith Lockhart, Judy Collins, Sir James Galway, and this season, Itzhak Perlman. The UMW Philharmonic concerts are held in Dodd Auditorium in George Washington Hall on the campus.
UMW Philharmonic Orchestra 2013-14 Season
- The Philharmonic’s 2013-14 season will be truly special, beginning with October Masterworks “Classical Music’s Bad Boys” featuring some of the greatest music from history’s most notorious composers. How can we top the wonderful Holiday Pops concerts from past years? Try Beethoven’s Ninth! The UMW massed choirs and vocal faculty will join the Philharmonic for a once-in-a-lifetime celebration of the holiday season. We are thrilled to announce that our March Celebrity Series concert will feature violinist Itzhak Perlman, one of the greatest artists of our time. Mr. Perlman will perform the stunning Beethoven Violin Concerto with the Philharmonic in one of his few appearances in this part of the country. As a new feature, we are offering our Friends donors advance ticket sales to this special event. We close our regular season in April with an exciting program entitled “Happy Endings – Finales with a Bang!”
- Saturday, October 19 – Fiddlestix Instrument Petting Zoo (5:30 – 6:15 p.m.)
- Saturday, October 19 – October Masterworks “Classical Music’s Bad Boys” (7:30 p.m.)
- Thursday, December 5 – Holiday Pops “Ode to Joy” (7:30 p.m.)
- Friday, December 6 – Holiday Pops “Ode to Joy” (7:30 p.m.)
- Saturday, March 29 – Celebrity Series with Itzhak Perlman (7:00 p.m. – please note time change)
- Friday, April 25 – Spring Concert “Happy Endings – Finales with a Bang” (7:30 p.m.)
To Order Concert Tickets On-line:
Holiday Pops – “Ode to Joy”
Thursday and Friday, December 5 and 6, 2013
This cherished Fredericksburg Holiday tradition will be even more special this year with the first-ever UMW performance of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, Ode to Joy. This great work has become a monument to freedom and optimism around the world, having been performed at the fall of the Berlin Wall, the 2012 Olympics, and other pivotal world events. The Philharmonic will join forces with the UMW massed choirs and their vocal faculty in a celebration so large that we have to build extra staging to hold the performers. Don’t worry … we haven’t forgotten the Christmas carols and audience sing-alongs. Admission $10.00. Children 8 and under are FREE for the Holiday Pops concert.
The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. in Dodd Auditorium
Tickets are only $10.00
To Order Concert Tickets On-line:
To Become a Friend and Donate On-line:
Select “Friends of the Philharmonic” from the drop-down menu after entering your gift amount.
The Philharmonic PBS Special
A Fiddler’s Holiday
DVD’s and CD’s are now available for sale
at the UMW Bookstore: 540-654-1017
DVDs are $20 and CDs are $12
For more information please contact:The Philharmonic Operations Office 540-654-1324 or email email@example.com
For information about all UMW Music department concerts and recitals please visit: http://cas.umw.edu/music/concert-schedules/ .